Burn Permits logo

Municipality of Meaford Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

Department Logo or Badge

Don't forget to call!

Toll-free: 1-855-693-0080

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit?

If you want to have an open-air fire (outdoor fireplace, fire pit, bonfire, brush fire etc.) then yes, you need an approved permit. You do not require a permit for an outdoor cooking device (smoker, BBQ etc).

How can I obtain a burn permit?

You may register online using this website. If you need assistance please contact fire@meaford.ca or 519-538-2121.

What can I burn?

You are only permitted to burn clean clear wood or by-products of clean clear wood.

How much does a permit cost?

There is no charge for permits.

Can I have more than one burn area location on my property?

Yes, however you must meet all the required setbacks and are only permitted to have one active burn at a time.

Can I have more than one burn permit type on my property?

Yes, you are required to obtain a permit for each type of burn you will have on your property.

Do I have to notify the Municipality when I am burning?

For Outdoor Fireplace and Fire Pits you are not required to call in each time you have an active burn. For Bonfires, Brush Fires, Controlled Fire and Demolition Fires you are required to notify at the start of each active burn. You can do this by logging into your account or calling 1-855-693-0080

What time does the fire have to be extinguished?

For Outdoor Fireplaces and Fire Pits on less than 1 acre of land, fires are to be extinguished by 1am of the same day. If your property is over 1 acre of land, there is no time restriction. Brush Fires, Controlled Fires and Demolition Fires are only permitted to be set, maintained and operated 2 hours before sunset of the same day.

If someone else will be conducting a burn on my property, who is required to obtain the permit?

The person conducting the burn is required to obtain the burn permit. For example, if you own the property but someone else will be conducting the burn while you are not there, they are responsible for obtaining the permit and notifying of active burn.